Michael Laing (rock_dinosaur) wrote in scottishrsl,
Michael Laing
rock_dinosaur
scottishrsl

Beattock

Opened: 10th September, 1847.
Closed: 3rd January, 1972.

Beattock Station was opened by the Caledonian Railway on 10th September, 1847, and served the village of Beattock in Dumfriesshire. It was located at the foot of Beattock Incline and was served by trains on what is now the West Coast Main Line. Between 1881 and 1964, Beattock was the junction for the branch to Moffat. There was formerly a locomotive shed which provided assisting locomotives for northbound trains to Beattock Summit.

The station features in the novel The Thirty-Nine Steps, written by John Buchan. Richard Hannay walks to the station from Moffat, before catching a night train south to England. Just south of Beattock Station is the mysterious Jessie's Tunnel, which intersects the line. There are three theories relating to the tunnel and its origin. One theory is that the tunnel was named after Jessie Armstrong, who died after being hit by a train whilst trying to cross the tracks. The more likely origin of the tunnel is that local boys would be labelled 'jessies' (a Scottish word for effeminate) for using it, rather than crossing the tracks. The third, and most controversial theory, is that the tunnel was named after Jessie, a local inhabitant, who used the tunnel to peddle her wares. This theory however is probably explained by local tavern rumour.

Beattock Station survived the massive railway closures of the 1960s, but succumbed on 3rd January, 1972, during the electrification of the West Coast Main Line; the reason, according to O.S Nock in his book Electric Euston to Glasgow, being that "the very small amount of traffic currently using it would not warrant the necessary rebuilding and safety improvements to allow electric trains to call". Following closure, the nearest station for Beattock is at Lockerbie. Following track alterations associated with electrification work in the early 1970s, the 'down' loop was retained and up loop was created. Loops and a number of sidings remain, with the sidings on the 'down' side used by electrification maintenance trains. The remnants of the station are still visible.

There are currently plans for the reopening of Beattock Station, and an action group has been formed to press the case for this; see Beattock Station Action Group.

Wikipedia page.


Ex-LMSR Class 7P Royal Scot 4-6-0 No. 46107 Argyll and Sutherland Highlander departs northwards from Beattock Station with a short train for Glasgow Central, circa 1960. [T.G. Hepburn]


Ex-LMSR Class 4MT 2-6-4T No. 42214 prepares to assist a Glasgow-bound train from Beattock Station up the ten-mile gradient to Beattock Summit on an unknown date during the early 1960s. This locomotive was withdrawn from Beattock Shed at the end of February 1965. [J.W. Armstrong/ARPT]


Ex-LMSR Class 6 'Patriot' 4-6-0 No. 45542 passes through Beattock Station with a southbound relief train on 3rd April, 1961. [A. Tyson]


Standing by Beattock South S.B., ex-LMSR Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42693 and another of the same class await their next banking duties on 3rd April, 1961, as ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 44992 passes with a southbound express. [A. Tyson]


Giving banking assistance to a Liverpool to Glasgow train, ex-LMSR Class 4 2-6-4T No. 42205 starts away from Beattock Station on 3rd April, 1961. [A. Tyson]


Ex-LMSR Class 5 4-6-0 No. 45236 passes through Beattock Station with a Crewe to Perth train in May 1964, while two others of the same class wait in the sidings with a train of limestone hoppers and a mixed goods respectively. [Derek Cross]


In filthy external condition and without its nameplates, BR Standard Class 7 Britannia 4-6-2 No. 70005 JOHN MILTON approaches Beattock Station with a southbound train of cattle wagons and parcels vans on 31st May, 1966. On the right, the track of the short Moffatt Branch, which had been closed on 6th April, 1964, can be seen curving away. [Hugh Ballantyne]
Tags: beattock, caledonian railway, station
Subscribe
Comments for this post were disabled by the author